Marine accidents to be investigated
◎ Paragraph 5, Article 2 of the Act for Establishment of the Japan Transport Safety Board (Definition of marine accident)
The term "Marine Accident" as used in this Act shall mean as follows:
1. Damage to a ship or facilities other than a ship related to the operations of a ship.
2. Death or injury of the people concerned with the construction, equipment or operation of a ship.
Marine incidents to be investigated
◎ Item 2, paragraph 6, Article 2 of the Act for Establishment of the Japan Transport Safety Board (Definition of marine incident)
A situation, prescribed by Ordinance of Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, where deemed to bear a risk of Marine Accident occurring.
◎ Article 3 of Ordinance for Enforcement of the Act for Establishment of the Japan Transport Safety Board (A situation, prescribed by Ordinance of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, stipulated in item 2, paragraph 6, Article 2 of the the Act for Establishment of the Japan Transport Safety Board)
1. The situation wherein a ship became a loss of control due to any of the following reasons:
(a) navigational equipment failure;
(b) listing of a ship; or
(c) short of fuel or fresh water required for engine operation.
2. The situation where a ship grounded without any damage to the hull; and
3. In addition to what is provided for in the preceding two items, the situation where safety or navigation of a ship was obstructed.
Category of marine accident and incident
|Marine accident and incident to be investigated||Type of marine accident and incident|
|Marine accident||Damage to ships or other facilities involved in ship operation||Collision, Grounding, Sinking, Flooding, Capsizing, Fire, Explosion, Missing, Damage to facilities|
|Casualty related to ship structures, equipment or operations||Death, Death and injury, Missing person, Injury|
|Marine incident||Navigational equipment failure||Loss of control (engine failure, propeller failure, rudder failure)|
|Listing of ship||Loss of control (extraordinary listing)|
|Short of fuel or fresh water required for engine operation||Loss of control (fuel shortage, fresh water shortage)|
|Grounding without hull damage||Stranded|
|Obstruction of ship safety or navigation||Safety obstruction, Navigation obstruction|