Survey of Trends in Travel and Tourism Consumption
Last Update : 2017/4/28
1. Tourism Consumption by Japanese Domestic Travelers 2016 Annual Figures (Revised)
Tourism consumption by Japanese domestic travelers increased by 2.7% year-on-year to 20.9547 trillion yen, exceeding last year's figure which was the highest ever since 2010, before the Great East Japan Earthquake.
○ Among tourism consumption by Japanese domestic travelers, expenditure on accommodation increased by 1.4% year-on-year to 16.0335 trillion yen, expenditure on day trips increased by 7.1% year-on-year to 4.9212 trillion yen, the latter in particular showing a strong rise.
2. Total number of Japanese domestic travelers
○ The total number of Japanese domestic travelers was 641.08 million (a 6.0% year-on-year increase), of which overnight trips accounted for 325.66 million (a 4.0% year-on-year increase), and day trips accounted for 315.42 million (an 8.1% year-on-year increase).
3. Travel Cost Per Trip Per Japanese Domestic Traveler
○ Travel cost per trip per Japanese domestic traveler decreased by 3.2% year-on-year to 32,687 yen.
○Looking by form of travel, overnight trips recorded a 2.5% year-on-year decrease to 49,234 yen, while day trips recorded a 1.0% year-on-year decrease to 15,602 yen.
Tourism Consumption in 2016
In line with the publication of the 2016 annual figures (revised) from the "Survey of Trends in Travel and Tourism Consumption," Japan's tourism consumption for 2016, including the domestic portion of overseas tourism consumption by Japanese nationals, and travel to Japan by foreign nationals etc., is presented.
Tourism Strategy Division
Japan Tourism Agency
TEL. 03-5253-8111 (Extensions: 27-217, 27-218)