Japan Tourism Agency has concluded a memorandum with China Union Pay Co., Ltd. for further expansion of the number of Chinese tourists visiting Japan
Last Update : 2010/7/22
We acknowledge you that Mr. Mizohata, Commissioner of the Japan Tourism Agency, has concluded a memorandum (see Appendix) with Mr. Xu Luode, President of the China Union Pay CO., Ltd., in Shanghai, China, on July 16, 2010 (Friday) to build a mutually beneficial relationship by promoting the consumption of the China Union Pay card holders on travel in Japan through issuing the “Japan Travel Card” and by striving to increase repeaters of the trip to Japan.
(Reference) China Union Pay
- China Union Pay Co., Ltd. is an operating company of the interbank payment network established mainly by the People’s Bank of China in 2002. More than 200 financial institutions have become its members.
- More than 2 billion China Union Pay cards have been issued.
- The China Union Pay card is a “debit card” and used for payment at shopping by inquiring the balance online. There is no limit as long as a price is within the range of balance.
- About 80 million cards with the credit card function have been issued (among them, about 20 million are gold cards)
- The number of shops that accept a China Union Pay card in Japan is 17,300 (as of April 2010)