The JTA expands tourism exchange with other nations. In this section, you will find information about the international tourism promotion measures we have implemented, such as the Visit Japan Campaign, the promotion of hosting and attracting vistors to MICE and encouraging outbound travel for Japanese tourists.
- Inbound Travel Promotion Project (Visit Japan Project) Regarding the program to attract 30 million international visitors to Japan, we are working to achieve the goal of 18 million visitors by 2016 through focused communication about our tourism attractions in priority markets as well as a joint public-private sector push for inbound travel promotion projects that support the creation of attractive Japanese travel products, among other things.
- Promotion of MICE Hosting and AttractionIn order to increase Japan's visibility as a MICE (international conferences, events, trade shows and exhibitions) venue, we are implementing various promotions such as setting up booths at overseas trade shows. We are also providing practical support to organizers working to host and attract MICE.
- Tour Guide-Interpreter SystemIndividuals who want to accompany international visitors and provide them with travel guide services using a foreign language for remuneration have to pass an examination given by the JTA Commissioner and acquire a license issued by a prefectural government. This section explains the Tour Guide-Interpreter System and the requirements for becoming a Tour Guide-Interpreter.
- Visitor Experience ImprovementWe promote to improve the travel environment to global top level with various kinds of developments for the inbound tourists regardless of the area to satisfy the tourists and achieve the government’s goal of 40 million visitors by 2020.
- Encouraging Outbound Travel by the JapaneseWe are promoting expansion of bilateral international exchange with the goal of increasing the number of outbound Japanese travelers to 20 million by the year 2010. To achieve this goal, the Japan Association of Travel Agents (JATA) is working to generate and promote demand for overseas travel with the Visit World Campaign, in cooperation with the relevant ministries and agencies, local governments, travel agencies, airlines and overseas national tourism organizations. The JTA also supports this effort.
- Charming Japanese Souvenir Contest
The purpose of this competition is to foster and discover attractive Japanese souvenirs in terms of quality and design from the viewpoint of visitors from overseas by selecting the most charming souvenirs.
It will also contribute to promoting local brands, introducing Japanese appeal to the world through souvenirs and inviting more overseas visitors to Japan.