Title Gejou Ishi (Dismounting Stone)

  • Wakayama
Topic(s):
Historic Sites/Castle Ruins Shrines/Temples/Churches
Medium/Media of Use:
Interpretive Sign
Text Length:
≤250 Words
FY Prepared:
2019
Associated Tourism Board:
hashimoto・itokoikikankokyogikai

下乗石


この石は、馬に乗って到着した参詣者や訪問者が徒歩で寺に向かうため馬から降りるべき地点を示したものです。慈尊院は高野山の伽藍への玄関口とされていたため、自分で歩くことが空海(諡号 弘法大師、774-835)に対する敬意の表れと見なされていたのです。それゆえ、公家や大名でさえ、旅の最終の部分はかごから降りて自分で歩くことになっていました。

平安時代(794-1185)に最初に造られた時、高さおよそ3メートルのこの石柱は紀の川の近くにおかれていました。残存するのは、1540年に川が氾濫した後に回収された石柱の一部のみで、この部分が慈尊院表門の外に移されました。

下乘石(下馬石)


騎馬而來的朝聖者和登山者需要在這根石柱旁下馬,然後步行進入寺院。因為慈尊院是高野山聖地的入口,步行入內也是表達對高野山開山始祖空海(774-835;諡號弘法大師)的尊重,所以,即使是貴族和領主也必須走出轎子,親自走完最後一段路程。

石柱雕刻於平安時代(794-1185),最初高約3公尺,立在紀之川附近。1540年河水氾濫後只打撈到石柱的一部分,現在被安置在慈尊院表門(正門)外。

下乘石(下马石)


这根石柱是骑马而来的朝圣者和登山者下马的位置,在此之后他们需要步行进入寺院。因为慈尊院被视作高野山圣地的入口,步行入内亦是表达对高野山开山始祖空海(774-835;谥号弘法大师)的尊重,所以即便是贵族和领主也必须走出轿子,亲自走完最后一段路程。

石柱雕刻于平安时代(794-1185),最初高约3米,立在纪之川附近。1540年河水泛滥后仅打捞到石柱的一部分,现被安置在慈尊院表门(正门)外。

Gejou Ishi (Dismounting Stone)

This stone marks the location where pilgrims and travelers who arrived on horseback were expected to dismount in order to approach the temple on foot. Even aristocrats and lords were required to step out of their palanquins and complete the final part of their journey on their own two feet. This was seen as a sign of respect for the priest Kukai (known posthumously as Kobo Daishi; 774–835) as Jisonin Temple was considered to be an entrance gate for the Koyasan monastic complex.

When it was originally carved in the Heian period (794–1185), the stone pillar was about 3 meters tall and positioned close to the Kinokawa River. The small section remaining is the only part that was recovered after the river flooded in 1540; it was relocated to the present spot directly in front of the entrance to Jisonin Temple.


Search