For People Living Near Private Lodging
１．Regarding "Private Lodging"
Major methods for conducting Private Lodging in Japan since the enforcement of the Private Lodging Business Act in June 2018 are as follows:
(1) Obtain permission in respect to the Inns and Hotels Act (Act No. 138 of 1948)
(2) Obtain authorization in respect to the National Strategic Special Zones Act (Act No. 107 of 2013) (Special Zone Private Lodging)
(3) Register in respect to the Private Lodging Business Act
Please confirm permission and authorization with the following matters.
（１）Permission in respect to the Inns and Hotels Act (Act No. 138 of 1948)
⇒ Please confirm with the prefecture (including cities that have established health centers and special zones) where the facility is located. The approved property may be listed on the website of the prefecture.
(2) Authorization in respect to the National Strategic Special Zones Act (Act No. 107 of 2013) (Special Zone Private Lodging)
⇒ The property authorized for Special Zone Private Lodging can be confirmed by contacting each local government that is working on special zone private lodging or on such local government's website.
(3) Registration according to the Private Lodging Business Act
⇒Private Lodging Business Operators are required to post a sign. This can be confirmed by seeing whether a sign with a registration number is posted at the entrance.
２．Matters Imposed on Private Lodging Business Operators
Private Lodging Business Operators are required to prepare a Lodgers' Registry Book along with various obligations according to the Private Lodging Business Act from the viewpoint of prevention of harmful effects to the surrounding areas, maintenance of public order and prevention of crimes.
Representative cases on these are as follows.
(1) Ensuring Safety of Lodgers
The Private Lodging Business Operator is to conduct the following measures:
 Installation of emergency lighting equipment
 Indication of escape routes
 Measures to ensure the safety of lodgers in case of fire or other disaster
(2) Securement of the Comfort and Convenience of Lodgers Who Are Foreign Tourists
Private Lodging Business Operators are to respond as follows to lodgers.
 Guidance in a foreign language on how to use the equipment in the registered lodging
 Provide information in a foreign language on means of transportation
 Give guidance on what number to dial in case of fire or other disaster, using a foreign language
(3) Lodgers' Registry Book
Private Lodging Business Operators are to respond as follows in preparing a Lodgers' Registry Book. Details of these measures are the same as those of hotels and inns.
 Creation upon confirmation identification
 Preserve it for 3 years from the date of creation
 List the names, addresses, occupations and lodging dates of each lodger
 Record nationality and passport number if the lodger does not have a fixed address in Japan
(4) Prevention of Harmful Effects on the Living Environment in the Surrounding Area
Private Lodging Business Operators are to explain the following matters through methods, such as preparing a document or other proper method, to the lodger.
 Matters to be considered for preventing noise
 Matters to be considered for disposal of waste
 Matters to be considered for preventing fire
(5) Response to Complaints
Private Lodging Business Operators are to respond properly and promptly on complaints and inquiries from residents in the surrounding areas of the registered lodging.
(6) Entrustment of Private Lodging Administration Business
Private Lodging Business Operators must entrust a Private Lodging Administrator to take the foregoing measures (1) to (6) in any of the following cases.
 In the event where the number of lodging rooms of the registered lodging exceeds 5.
 In the event where the private lodging business operator is absent (*) while lodging the lodger.
(*) Exclude cases where the Private Lodging Business Operator is absent within the time scope required for ordinary actions on operating his/her daily life.
３．Contact Information for Private Lodging Business
Call centers are installed as a point of contact for inquiries related to the "Private Lodging Business Act," "registration of private lodging" and on the system of Private Lodging. Please consult with the call center for any unclear matters.
* Please note that some inquiries may not be answered, depending on the details about which decision will be entrusted to which particular administrative agency.
* Please confirm the ordinances and individual rules set forth by each local government by clicking the website link to the local government from the "contact information of each local government."
４．Illegal Private Lodging
Permission with respect to the Inns and Hotels Act, authorization in respect to the Special Zone Private Lodging or registration according to the Private Lodging Business Act is required, when providing lodging services for a fee. Providing lodging service without obtaining permission or authorization is unauthorized operation in respect to the Inns and Hotels Act, which will be subject to punishment. Please contact your nearest health center, if you find such a place that is providing lodging services without undergoing legal procedures.