Title Building a Hermit’s Retreat: Tea Houses and Roji

  • Aichi
Topic(s):
Historic Sites/Castle Ruins
Medium/Media of Use:
App, QR code, etc. Web Page Pamphlet
Text Length:
501-750
FY Prepared:
2022
Associated Tourism Board:
Nagoya Railroad Co.,Ltd.

「茶室の美学・茶室周辺の庭のデザイン」


隠居所づくり:茶室と露地(茶室の庭)


侘び茶:質素という名の美学

 16世紀、日本の有力者たちは、要人たちとの会談や同盟を結ぶために茶室という狭くて素朴な空間を使うようになりました。贅を尽くした男たちが、低い戸口をくぐり、森の奥にある隠者の粗末な小屋に似せて作られた部屋で、小さな囲炉裏を囲みました。こうした強力な指導者たちは、侘び茶と呼ばれる茶道の美学を追求していたのです。

 16世紀まで、お茶を飲む儀式は主に僧侶や貴族、上級武士が行っていました。茶会は上流階級の屋敷の豪華な応接間や寺のお堂で行われ、中国から輸入された凝った装飾の茶器が好まれました。しかし、侘び茶は、質素な素材と最小限の装飾による、控えめな職人技で、簡素で洗練されたものを重視するものでした。

 この動きは僧侶の村田珠光(1423-1502)に端を発し、彼の思想を大阪の豪商・武野紹鴎(1502-1555)が取り入れ、その弟子で歴史上最も影響力のある茶人の一人となった千利休(1522-1591)が受け継ぎました。おそらく利休の有力な武士のパトロンを通じて侘び茶は武士階級に広まり、今日では茶道において主流をなす美学といえます。


茶室:利休の理想

 利休をはじめとする茶人たちは、茶室は山にある小屋のような雰囲気であるべきと考えていました。そのため、茶室の名前の多くには「静養所」や「隠れ家」などを意味する「庵」が接尾辞として用いられています。「山里」と呼ばれる設計概念を好んだ利休は、素朴な雰囲気を再現するため茶室を囲むように茶庭(茶室の庭)を設け、両者を1つのコンセプト空間として融合させました。

 利休が理想とした茶室は、こぢんまりとして独立した庵でした。客人は小さな四角いにじり口から這うようにして部屋に入りました。庵の中は天井が低く、家具もなく、装飾も質素なものでした。建物全体は、ほとんど加工されていない自然素材で作られ、屋根は質素な茅葺きでした。

 庭もまた、利休の美学の一翼を担っていました。離れの茶室には、飛び石を敷いた小道のある小さな庭「露地」があるべきと利休は考えました。茶会は正式には懐石料理が振る舞われた後に行われましたが、その茶会が始まる前に、客は庭の外側にある「待合」と呼ばれる屋根付きの待機スペースに集まりました。亭主の準備が整ったことが告げられると(多くの場合銅鑼の音または別の合図で)、客は露地に沿って茶室に向かいました。この露地は一般的に、立ち止まって手を洗うための蹲踞の前を通っていました。


有楽の茶室

 利休の弟子だった有楽は、利休が好んだ侘び茶や小さな離れの茶室の影響を受けている一方で、有楽の茶室には武士の茶道に通じる豪華さも残っています。如庵と元庵は、利休の多くの茶室より大きいだけでなく、屋根は茅葺きではなく、板葺きになっています。どちらの茶室も床の間の縁に黒漆塗りが施され、利休であれば華美過ぎると考えたであろう内部の作りになっています。


如庵の露地

 飛び石、蹲踞、井筒、石灯籠など、露地の実質的な部材は、1908年に如庵とともに三井家に売却されました。建築家の堀口捨己は、1799年に描かれた正伝院の絵図をもとに、各要素の配置を復元しました。また、堀口は、絵図に描かれている樹木に合わせて、黒松や楓を植えました。

 南西の隅にある円形の井筒は、侘び茶の祖である村田珠光が所有していたものを模して作られたものです。有楽は珠光を非常に尊敬しており、珠光の元の井筒の修復を手伝った有楽は、その後に自分の庭にも模したものを作り、「元和元年(1615)九月二日、有楽」と刻みました。

 如庵の露地にはもう1つの注目すべきものがあります。「釜山海」と名付けられた石の蹲踞です。この名前は石の産地が釜山の海岸であることに由来します。1592年に豊臣秀吉の軍勢が朝鮮出兵した際、この珍しい石は日本に持ち帰られ秀吉に献上され、その後、秀吉が有楽に贈りました。この石の中央のくぼみは波によって自然にできたもので、侘び茶の美学における理想的な蹲踞になっています。


元庵の露地

 元庵の露地は、江戸時代(1603-1867)中期に描かれた絵図をもとに復元されたものです。茶室の南側に屋根付きの待合があり、そこから飛び石を渡っていくと、立方体の小さな蹲踞があります。絵図によると、元々は蹲踞の両側に仏像が彫られていました。このタイプは「四方仏手水鉢」と呼ばれ、分解した石塔の基礎部分で作られたものになります。堀口は、元庵に適したこの種の蹲踞を見つけることができなかったため、シンプルな立体型のものを選びました。また、堀口は、有楽の時代と同じように樫の小木や南天で蹲踞を囲みました。


注意:庭園の一部には、黒い紐を結んだ石で通路がふさがれている場合があります。これは「留め石」といって、その先が立ち入り禁止であることを示すものです。

茶室與茶庭——打造隱居之所


侘茶:簡樸的美學

16世紀,日本的權貴精英階層開始在狹窄樸素的茶室空間,接待其他武將或促成聯盟的仲介人。這些平日享盡奢華的男人們會俯身從低矮的門道進入茶室,置身如同林中隱士居住的簡陋茅屋中,圍坐在小小的茶爐邊。這些權貴們所追求的是一種被稱作「侘茶」的茶道美學。

16世紀前,熱衷於飲茶文化的主要是僧侶、貴族和高階武士。舉辦茶會的場所一般設在名門望族寬闊奢華的廳堂或是寺廟的佛堂,喜歡使用從中國進口的高級茶具。然而侘茶注重選用普通的原料和簡單的工藝,以極簡的裝飾來體現樸素與優雅。

侘茶最早的發起人是僧侶村田珠光(1423-1502),他的主張得到大坂(今大阪)富商武野紹鷗(1502-1555)認同,並被弟子千利休(1522-1591)繼承,後者最終成為日本歷史上最有影響力的茶人之一。千利休擁有各大割據軍閥作為強大後盾,也許正是在他們的推崇下,侘茶在整個武士階層流傳開來,繼而成為今日茶道的主流美學。


千利休的理想茶室

千利休與許多茶人都認為,茶室應有山間小屋之意境。因此,許多茶室以「庵」命名,漢字「庵」原意為茅草屋,可引申出「避世、隱居所」的意義。千利休偏好「山里」這一設計理念,為營造出樸實簡約的氛圍,在茶室周圍修建茶庭,並將二者結合為同一個意象空間。

千利休理想中的茶室是一座獨立小屋,客人們須從一個方形的小口爬進去。室內的天花板很低,沒有傢俱,裝飾極簡。整個建築主要由未經加工的天然材料造就,屋頂只用茅草覆蓋。

茶庭在千利休的美學意象中同樣舉足輕重。他認為,超然獨立的茶室都應擁有一個「露地」(茶庭),即帶踏腳石小徑的小庭園。正式的茶會一般在菜式繁多的懷石料理之後開始,客人先要在茶庭外的「待合」(帶屋頂的等候區)集合等待。隨著一聲鑼響或其它信號宣佈「亭主」(主人)已做好接待準備,客人方可沿著茶庭小徑走向茶室。小徑旁一般設有供客人洗手的「蹲踞」(低矮的手水缽)。


織田有樂的茶室

身為千利休的弟子,織田有樂(1547-1621)在侘茶美學方面受老師影響頗深,同樣偏好小而獨立的茶室。但另一方面,他的茶道風格仍保留了些許武士階層茶道的奢靡之感。如庵和元庵不只面積比千利休的茶室都大,它們的屋頂還採用了「板葺」(木片瓦),而非「茅葺」(茅草頂)。兩處茶室內部的「床之間」(和式壁龕)皆以黑漆邊框裝飾,這對千利休所推崇的「侘茶」美學顯然過於華麗。


如庵的茶庭

「飛石」(踏腳石)、蹲踞、「井筒」(井戶圍欄)、石燈籠,以及如庵茶庭中的其他物件都在1908年一併出售給三井家。建築師堀口舍己(1895-1984)在復原有樂苑時,參考一幅1799年的正傳院畫作,讓所有物件都回歸原位,他甚至還在庭中種下了與畫中相同的黑松和日本紅楓。

茶庭西南角的井筒以侘茶之祖村田珠光的井筒為藍本。織田有樂對村田珠光非常尊崇,不僅幫忙修復了他的井筒,還在自家茶庭裡複製了一個,並加上銘文「元和元年(1615)九月二日,有樂」。

如庵茶庭中另一件值得關注的是被稱為「釜山海」的石蹲踞,這塊石頭的名字來自它的原產地,即韓國釜山的海岸。1592年,豐臣秀吉(1537-1598)派軍入侵朝鮮半島,這塊罕見的奇石被帶回日本獻給了豐臣秀吉,後又被轉贈織田有樂。石頭中央因海浪的侵蝕而凹陷,使其成為符合侘茶美學的理想蹲踞石。


元庵的茶庭

元庵的茶庭是基於一張江戶時代(1603-1867)中期的草圖而重建。茶室南側設有「待合」,從那裡沿踏腳石小徑可到達一處擺放著小型立方體蹲踞的地方。從草圖看,原蹲踞的各面均刻有佛像。這種類型的蹲踞叫做「四方佛手水缽」,由分解後的石佛塔基座製成。由於堀口舍己無法為元庵找到類似的手水缽,便直接選用了簡單的立方體。他又在蹲踞四周種下小櫟樹和南天竹,一如織田有樂的時代。


請注意:茶庭部分區域的道路上有紮著黑繩的岩石「留石」,意在提醒訪客止步。

茶室与茶庭——打造隐居之所


侘茶:简朴的美学

16世纪,日本的权贵精英阶层开始在狭窄朴素的茶室空间,接待其他武将或促成联盟的中介人。这些平日享尽奢华的男人们会俯身从低矮的门道进入茶室,置身如同林中隐士居住的简陋茅屋内,围坐在小小的茶炉边。达官显贵追求的正是一种被称作“侘茶”的茶道美学。

16世纪前,热衷于饮茶文化的主要是僧侣、贵族和高阶武士。举办茶会的场所一般设在名门望族宽阔奢华的厅堂或是寺庙的佛堂,喜欢使用从中国进口的高级茶具。然而侘茶注重选用普通的原料和简单的工艺,以极简的装饰来体现朴素与优雅。

侘茶最早的发起人是僧侣村田珠光(1423-1502),他的主张得到大坂(今大阪)富商武野绍鸥(1502-1555)认同,并被弟子千利休(1522-1591)继承,后者最终成为日本历史上最有影响力的茶人之一。千利休拥有各大割据军阀作为强大后盾,也许正是在他们的推崇下,侘茶在整个武士阶层流传开来,继而成为今日茶道的主流美学。


千利休的理想茶室

千利休与许多茶人都认为,茶室应有山间小屋之意境。因此,许多茶室以“庵”命名,汉字“庵”原意为茅草屋,可引申出“避世、隐居所”的意义。千利休偏好“山里”这一设计理念,为营造朴实简约的氛围,他在茶室周围修建茶庭,并将二者结合为同一个意象空间。

千利休理想中的茶室是一座独立小屋,客人须从一个方形的小口爬进去。室内的天花板很低,没有家具,装饰极简。整个建筑主要由未经加工的天然材料筑成,屋顶只用茅草覆盖。

茶庭在千利休的美学意象中同样举足轻重。他认为,超然独立的茶室都应拥有一个“露地”(茶庭),即带踏脚石小径的小庭园。正式的茶会一般在菜式繁多的怀石料理之后开始,客人先要在茶庭外的“待合”(带屋顶的等候区)集合等待。随着一声锣响或其它信号宣布“亭主”(主人)已做好接待准备,客人方可沿着茶庭小径走向茶室。小径旁一般设有供客人洗手的“蹲踞”(低矮的手水钵)。


织田有乐的茶室

身为千利休的弟子,织田有乐(1547-1621)在侘茶美学方面受老师影响颇深,同样偏好小而独立的茶室。但另一方面,他的茶道风格仍保留了些许武士阶层茶道的奢靡之感。如庵和元庵不仅面积比千利休的茶室大,它们的屋顶还采用了“板葺”(木片瓦),而非“茅葺”(茅草顶)。两处茶室内部的“床之间”(和式壁龛)皆以黑漆边框装饰,这无疑会让千利休觉得过于华丽。


如庵茶庭

“飞石”(踏脚石)、蹲踞、“井筒”(井户围栏)、石灯笼,以及如庵茶庭中的其他物件都在1908年一并出售给了三井家族。建筑师堀口舍己(1895-1984)参考一幅1799年的正传院画作展开复原工作,让所有元素都回归原位,还在庭中种下了与画中相同的黑松和日本红枫。

茶庭西南角的井筒以侘茶之祖村田珠光的井筒为蓝本。织田有乐对村田珠光非常尊崇,不仅帮忙修复了他的井筒,还在自家茶庭里复制了一个,并加上了铭文“元和元年(1615)九月二日,有乐”。

如庵茶庭中另一件值得关注的装置是被称为“釜山海”的石蹲踞,这块石头的名字取自它的原产地——韩国釜山的海岸。1592年,丰臣秀吉(1537-1598)派军入侵朝鲜半岛,这块奇石被带回日本敬献给丰臣秀吉,之后又被转赠织田有乐。石头中间因海浪的侵蚀而下凹,这使其成为符合侘茶美学的理想蹲踞石。


元庵茶庭

元庵的茶庭基于一张江户时代(1603-1867)中期的草图重建。茶室南侧设有“待合”,走过一条踏脚石小径后是一处摆放着小型立方体蹲踞的地方。从草图看,原蹲踞的各面均刻有佛像。这种类型的蹲踞叫做“四方佛手水钵”,由分解后的石佛塔基座制成。堀口舍己无法再为元庵觅得同类型的手水钵,便直接选用了简单的立方体。他又在蹲踞四周种下小栎树和南天竹,一如织田有乐的时代。


敬请留意:茶庭部分区域的道路上有扎着黑绳的岩石阻挡,这是“留石”,意在提醒访客止步。

‘다실의 미학과 다실 주변 정원의 디자인’


은거처 만들기: 다실과 로지(다실의 정원)


와비차: 검소라는 이름의 미학

 16세기 일본의 유력인사들은 주요 인사들과의 회담이나 동맹 결성을 위해서 다실이라는 좁고 소박한 공간을 사용하게 되었습니다. 온갖 권세를 누리던 남자들이 나지막한 문간을 지나 숲속에 있는 은자의 소박한 오두막 같은 방에서 작은 이로리(일본의 전통적인 난방장치)에 둘러앉았습니다. 이 강력한 지도자들이 ‘와비차’라고 하는 다도의 미학을 추구했던 것입니다.

 16세기까지 차를 마시는 의식은 주로 승려나 귀족, 상급무사들이 하던 것이었습니다. 다회(茶會, 차모임)는 상류층 저택의 호화로운 응접실이나 절당에서 열렸으며, 다기는 중국에서 수입된 섬세한 장식이 있는 것을 선호했습니다. 그러나 와비차는 소박한 소재와 최소한의 장식에 의한 절제된 장인기술로, 간소하고 세련된 것을 중시했습니다.

 이 움직임은 승려 무라타 주코(村田珠光, 1423-1502)로부터 시작되었는데, 그의 사상을 오사카의 호상이었던 다케노 조오(武野紹鴎, 1502-1555)가 도입했고, 그 제자로 역사상 가장 영향력 있는 다인 중 한 사람인 센리큐(千利休, 1522-1591)가 계승했습니다. 와비차는 리큐의 힘있는 무사들의 지원 아래 무사계급으로 확대되었으며, 오늘날에는 다도에서 주류를 이루는 미학이 되었습니다.


다실: 리큐의 이상

 리큐를 비롯한 다인들은 다실은 산에 있는 오두막 같은 분위기여야 한다고 생각했습니다. 그래서 다실 이름의 대부분에는 ‘정양소’나 ‘은신처’ 등을 뜻하는 ‘암(庵)’자가 접미사로 사용되었습니다. ‘야마자토’라고 하는 설계개념을 좋아한 리큐는 소박한 분위기를 재현하기 위해 다실을 둘러싸듯 다정(다실에 딸린 정원)을 두고, 둘을 하나의 콘셉트 공간으로 융합시켰습니다.

 리큐가 이상으로 한 다실은 아담하고 독립된 암자였습니다. 손님들은 작고 네모난 니지리구치로 기듯이 하여 방으로 들어갔습니다. 다실 안은 천정이 낮고, 가구도 없으며 장식도 소박했습니다. 건물 전체는 거의 가공을 하지 않은 자연소재로 만들어졌고, 지붕은 조촐한 초가였습니다.

 정원 또한 리큐 미학의 일익을 담당했습니다. 별채 다실에는 징검돌을 깐 오솔길이 있는 작은 정원 '로지'가 있어야 한다고 리큐는 생각했습니다. 다회는 정식으로 가이세키 요리가 나온 후에 이루어졌는데, 그 다회가 시작되기 전에 손님들은 정원 바깥 '마치아이’라고 불리는 지붕이 있는 대기공간에 모였습니다. 주인의 준비가 되었다는 말을 들으면 (대부분 징소리 또는 다른 신호로) 손님들은 로지를 따라 다실로 향했습니다. 이 로지는 일반적으로 멈춰 서서 손을 씻기 위한 쓰쿠바이앞으로 나 있었습니다.


우라쿠의 다실

 리큐의 제자였던 우라쿠는 리큐가 좋아했던 와비차나 작은 별채 다실의 영향을 받았으며, 그 한편으로 우라쿠의 다실에는 무사의 다도로 통하는 호화로움도 남아 있습니다. 조안과 겐안은 리큐의 다실들보다 클 뿐만 아니라 지붕은 초가가 아닌 널빤지로 되어 있습니다. 모든 다실 도코노마(일본식 방의 상좌에 바닥을 한층 높게 만든 곳)의 가장자리에 검은 옻칠을 하여 리큐가 보았다면 너무 화려하다고 했을 법한 내부 구조로 되어 있습니다.


조안의 로지

 징검돌, 쓰쿠바이, 우물, 석등 등 로지의 실질적인 부자재는 1908년 조안과 함께 미쓰이 가문에 매각되었습니다. 건축가 호리구치 스테미(堀口捨己)는 1799년에 그려진 쇼덴인(正伝院, 정전원)의 그림을 토대로 각 요소의 배치를 복원했습니다. 또 호리구치는 그림에 그려져 있는 수목에 맞춰 흑송과 단풍나무를 심었습니다.

 남서쪽 구석에 있는 원형의 우물은 와비차의 시조인 무라타 주코(村田珠光)가 소유하고 있던 것을 본떠 만든 것입니다. 우라쿠는 주코를 매우 존경했으며, 주코의 원래 우물 수복을 도운 우라쿠는 그 후에 자신의 정원에도 유사한 것을 만들어 ‘겐나 원년(1615) 9월 2일, 우라쿠’라고 새겼습니다.

 조안의 로지에는 또 하나의 주목할 만한 것이 있습니다. '부산해(釜山海)'라고 이름 붙여진 쓰쿠바이(다실 입구에 설치한 손 씻는 물그릇)입니다. 이 이름은 돌의 산지가 부산의 해안이라는 데서 유래되었습니다. 1592년 도요토미 히데요시의 군사가 조선에 출병했을 때, 이 희귀한 돌이 일본으로 반출되어 히데요시에게 헌상되었고, 그 후 히데요시가 우라쿠에게 보냈습니다. 이 돌의 중앙 움푹 패인 곳은 파도에 의해 자연스럽게 생긴 것인데, 이는 와비차 미학에서 이상적인 쓰쿠바이입니다.


겐안의 로지

 겐안의 로지는 에도시대(1603-1867) 중기에 그려진 그림을 토대로 복원된 것입니다. 다실 남쪽에 지붕이 있는 마치아이(待合)가 있고, 거기에서 징검돌을 건너가면 정육면체의 작은 쓰쿠바이가 있습니다. 그림에 의하면 원래는 쓰쿠바이 양쪽에 불상이 새겨져 있었습니다. 이 유형은 '사방불 수수발(四方佛手水鉢)'이라고 하며, 분해된 석탑의 기초부분으로 만들어진 것입니다. 호리구치는 겐안에 적합한 이런 종류의 쓰쿠바이를 찾을 수 없어서 심플한 입체형을 선택했습니다. 또 호리구치는 우라쿠가 있던 시대와 유사하게 작은 참나무와 남천촉으로 쓰쿠바이를 둘러쌌습니다.


주의: 정원 일부에는 검은 끈을 묶은 돌로 통로를 막고 있는 경우가 있습니다. 이것은 '도메이시’라고 해서 그 앞쪽은 출입금지임을 나타냅니다.

Building a Hermit’s Retreat: Tea Houses and Roji


Wabi-cha: An Aesthetic of Simplicity

In the sixteenth century, Japan’s most powerful elite began to use the narrow, rustic confines of tea houses to meet with fellow warlords and broker alliances. Men who could afford every luxury crawled through low doorways and sat around tiny hearths inside rooms built to resemble the crude huts of woodland hermits. These powerful leaders were pursuing an aesthetic called wabi-cha.

Until the sixteenth century, the ritualized drinking of tea was mainly practiced by priests, aristocrats, and high-ranking samurai. Tea gatherings were held in the luxurious reception rooms of high-class residences or in temple halls, and the preference was for ornate tea utensils imported from China. Wabi-cha, however, emphasized simplicity and austere refinement—humble craftsmanship using plain materials and minimal ornamentation.

The movement first arose with a priest named Murata Jukō (1423–1502), whose ideas were adopted by the wealthy Osaka merchant Takeno Jō-ō (1502–1555) and passed on to his student, Sen no Rikyū (1522–1591), who would go on to become one of the most influential tea masters in history. Perhaps through Rikyū’s powerful samurai patrons, the popularity of wabi-cha spread to the samurai class and today it is the dominant aesthetic in the practice of tea.


Tea Houses: Rikyū’s Ideal

Rikyū and other tea masters believed that a tea house should evoke the atmosphere of a cottage in the mountains. For this reason, the suffix -an (庵), meaning “retreat” or “hermitage,” is used in the names of many tea houses. Rikyū favored a design concept called yamazato, or “mountain hamlet.” To replicate this rustic setting, Rikyū created tea gardens that would surround his tea houses, integrating the two as a single conceptual space.

Rikyū’s ideal tea house was a tiny, free-standing hut. Guests entered by crawling through a small, square opening. Inside, the low-ceilinged room was unfurnished and minimally decorated. The entire structure was made of largely unprocessed natural materials, and the roof was humble thatch.

The garden, too, played a role in Rikyū’s aesthetic vision. He believed that detached tea houses should have a roji—a small garden with a path of stepping stones. Before the start of a tea gathering, which in formal settings would follow a multicourse kaiseki meal, guests would assemble in the outer area of the garden beneath a covered waiting area called a machiai. Once it was announced that the host was ready to begin (often with the sound of a gong or another signal), the guests would approach the tea house along the roji path. The path typically led past a washbasin (tsukubai) where they would stop and rinse their hands.


Uraku’s Tea Houses

As a student of Rikyū, Uraku was influenced by his mentor’s preference for wabi-cha and small, detached tea houses. On the other hand, Uraku’s style retains some of the hints of luxury that are associated with tea styles practiced by samurai. In addition to being larger than many of Rikyū’s tea houses, Jo-an and Gen-an are roofed with shingles, not thatch. Inside, the tokonoma alcoves of both tea houses have black-lacquered framing that Rikyū would have considered too ornate.


Jo-an’s Roji

The stepping stones, washbasin, well cover, stone lanterns, and other substantive parts of the roji were sold to the Mitsui family together with Jo-an in 1908. Architect Horiguchi Sutemi used a 1799 illustration of the Shōdenin complex to reconstruct the position of each element. He also planted black pines and Japanese maples to match trees shown in the drawing.

The round well cover in the southwestern corner was made as an homage to one owned by wabi-cha progenitor Murata Jukō (also known as “Shukō”). Uraku greatly admired Jukō, and he had helped to restore Jukō’s original well cover; afterward, he created a replica for his own garden and inscribed it “1615, ninth month, second day, Uraku.”

Another notable object in the roji at Jo-an is the stone tsukubai, or washbasin, which is named Fuzankai—the Japanese name for the Sea of Busan. The name comes from the stone’s origin, the coast of Busan (southern South Korea). In 1592, when Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s forces invaded Korea, the unusual stone was brought back and given to Hideyoshi, who then gave it to Uraku. The central hollow in the stone was formed naturally by waves, making it an ideal washbasin in the wabi-cha aesthetic.


Gen-an’s Roji

The roji at Gen-an was reconstructed based on a diagram from the mid-Edo period (1603–1867). It has a covered waiting area (machiai) south of the tea house. From there, stepping stones lead to a small, cubic washbasin. According to the diagram, the original washbasin was carved with images of the Buddha on each side. Washbasins of this type were called “four-sided Buddha washbasins” (yohō-butsu-chōzubachi) and were made from the bases of disassembled stone pagodas. Horiguchi was unable to find a suitable washbasin of this type for Gen-an, so he chose one that was simply cube-shaped. He also surrounded the basin with small oak trees and nandina, as it was in Uraku’s day.


Please note: In some areas of the garden, pathways may be blocked by rocks tied with black rope. These are tome-ishi (“stop stones”), and they indicate that the area beyond is off-limits to visitors.

Search