Title Seaside Literary Memorial Museum

  • Aichi
Topic(s):
Public Works & Institutions (Museums, etc.)
Medium/Media of Use:
Pamphlet
Text Length:
751+ Words
FY Prepared:
2024
Associated Tourism Board:
Gamagori-shi Takeshima eria ta gengo kaisetsu kyogi-kai
Associated Address:
15-62 Takeshimacho, Gamagori City

海辺の文学記念館


海辺の文学記念館では、蒲郡が20世紀初頭に著名な作家たちの保養地として人気を集めるようになった経緯が展示されている。1912年に現在記念館がある海辺に開業した旅館「常磐館」と、その創業者で蒲郡を観光地として発展させるのに重要な役割を果たした名古屋の実業家、滝信四郎(1868-1938)を中心に物語が展開する。館内には常磐館と蒲郡ホテル(現・蒲郡クラシックホテル)にまつわる遺品や資料、常磐館の客室の再現、ノーベル賞作家の川端康成(1899-1972)、谷崎潤一郎(1886-1965)、志賀直哉(1883-1971)など、常磐館に滞在した作家たちの生涯や作品を紹介するパネルなどが展示されている。


レジャーと文学


蒲郡と日本を代表する文人たちとの交流は、滝信四郎の努力によってもたらされた。裕福な織物商であった彼は、実家の別荘地であり、幼い頃から愛していた三河湾に浮かぶ竹島の対岸に旅館「常磐館」を構えた。


当時、蒲郡はすでに旅行先としてよく知られていたが、滝はこの地を全国に宣伝したいと考えた。そこで彼は、著名な作家を常磐館に招待し、彼らが蒲郡や竹島、そして常磐館のことを作品に書くことを条件に、常磐館に宿泊してもらうことを思いついた。この作戦は成功し、常磐館のオープンから、川端、谷崎、志賀、菊池寛(1888-1948)、山本有三(1887-1974)、井上靖(1907-1991)などの作家が旅館を訪れ、数多くの小説、短編小説、詩などで竹島を取り上げた。


川端の短編『驢馬に乗る妻』は、常磐館に隣接して客をもてなすために作られた乗馬場を中心とした作品である。一方、谷崎の『 ささめ雪』では、中心的な登場人物の姉妹の一人が蒲郡を訪れ、花婿候補との満足のいかない出会いの後、常磐館に滞在する場面が描かれている。


記念館


常磐館は1982年に解体されたが、その名残と雰囲気は、1997年に旅館の跡地にオープンした海辺の文学記念館に受け継がれている。この記念館は、1910年に蒲郡の中心部に建てられた、もともとは診療所として使われていた木造平屋建ての建物を竹島海岸に模倣・復元された建造物に入っている。


館内には常磐館に滞在した作家たちのエピソードや、常磐館やその周辺を題材にした作品を紹介する解説パネルが展示されている。1927年8月に谷崎潤一郎が宿泊した当時の様子を再現した常磐館の部屋もある。畳の部屋には障子があり、障子を開けると対岸の竹島が見える。


また、蒲郡ホテルとその別館にまつわる品々も展示されている。その中には、ホテルの入り口近くにある六角堂の外観をかつて飾った豪華な木彫りなどもある。また、蒲郡、竹島、常磐館と蒲郡ホテルの歴史にまつわるテーマを取り上げた特別展も開催されている。


記念館の「時手紙」は、蒲郡で過ごした思い出やメッセージを書くと、来館から2ヶ月~10年後の好きな日に、希望の住所(日本国内)に郵送してもらえるというもの。

海邊文學紀念館


海邊文學紀念館的展示品敘說著蒲郡在20世紀初期作為名作家們的人氣渡假村而崛起的歷史。而這段故事皆以1912年開幕的海邊旅館「常磐館」(現為紀念館)以及該旅館創始人兼推動蒲郡觀光的重大推手,名古屋商人瀧信四郎(1868-1938)為中心發展。館內展示著常磐館以及蒲郡飯店(現蒲郡經典飯店)留存的工藝品以及文件以及重現常磐館客房構造的造景,還有詳細介紹當時住在館內的知名作家如諾貝爾獎作家川端康成(1899-1972)、谷崎潤一郎(1886-1965)、志賀直哉(1883-1971)等人生涯以及作品的展覽解說文字板。


休閒與文學

蒲郡與國內一些最著名的文學家之間的聯繫,是在富有的紡織品商人瀧信四郎的努力下而建立的。信四郎在三河灣岸邊建了常磐館,位於竹島對面。該地正是他的老家度假別墅所在之地,也是他自童年以來就十分鍾愛的地方。


雖蒲郡當時就已經作為旅行觀光地廣為人知,但瀧信四郎仍然想要把這個地方的美好推廣給全日本的人們。他想到一個辦法邀請著名作家們來到常磐館住宿,如此一來作家們就能以蒲郡、竹島以及旅館為題材創作。而這個策略而後也圓滿成功了。

隨著常磐館的開幕,川端康成、谷崎潤一郎、志賀直哉、菊池寛(1888-1948)、山本有三(1887-1974)、井上靖(1907-1991)等作家都在常磐館內留宿,並且寫了不少關於竹島的小說、短篇故事以及詩文。


這些作品包含川端康成的短篇《騎驢之妻》就是以常磐館隔壁對客開放的騎馬場為中心描寫之故事。而谷崎的長篇小說《細雪》則描寫了四姊妹其中一人造訪蒲郡,在相親不順之後留宿常磐館的橋段。


紀念館

雖然常磐館後於1982年遭到拆除,但其遺產及氛圍,卻在 1997 年在旅館原址上開設的海邊文學紀念館中得以延續。此紀念館重建於1910年曾位於蒲郡中心的木造平房診所。


館內的展覽解說文字板介紹了作家們留宿旅館期間發生的軼事,還有以常磐館周遭為題材的作品節錄。館中還附有重現常磐館客房的造景,展示1927年8月當時谷崎潤一郎所居住的房間模樣。拉開這間榻榻米房間的日式拉門,就能看見在海另一端的竹島。


另外,這裡也展示著關於蒲郡飯店以及其分棟建築的展示品。其中包含曾經裝飾在飯店入口附近之六面建築物──六角堂外牆的木雕。而在紀念館的其他展區則有關於蒲郡、竹島以及常磐館和蒲郡飯店歷史的特展。


紀念館的「時空旅信」則讓訪客們能在此寫下訊息或在蒲郡度過的回憶,接著把信在來到紀念館後的兩個月~十年後之任意日期寄到指定地址(僅限日本國內)。

海滨文学纪念馆


海滨文学纪念馆内陈列的展品,向人们讲述了蒲郡在20世纪初成为知名作家们喜爱的度假胜地的过程。整个故事围绕常磐馆旅馆展开,这家旅馆于1912年开业,位于现在纪念馆所处的海滨场地。旅馆的创办人是来自名古屋的商人滝信四郎(1868–1938),他在助力蒲郡发展成为旅游胜地的过程中,发挥了至关重要的作用。纪念馆内展出了来自常磐馆旅馆以及蒲郡酒店(今“蒲郡经典酒店”)的文物与档案资料,同时陈列着常磐馆旅馆客房的复原模型,还有诸多展板,这些展板详细介绍了曾下榻于常磐馆旅馆的作家们的生平与作品,其中包括诺贝尔文学奖得主川端康成(1899–1972)、谷崎润一郎(1886–1965)以及志贺直哉(1883–1971)等一众作家。


休闲与文学

蒲郡与日本国内一些最为著名的文学人物之间产生关联,得益于纺织富商滝信四郎的诸多努力。滝信四郎在三河湾沿岸建造了常磐馆旅馆,这座旅馆正对着竹岛。这里曾是滝氏家族度假别墅的所在地,也是滝信四郎自幼便深深喜爱的地方。


彼时,蒲郡作为一个旅游目的地,已在当地颇具知名度,不过滝信四郎希望将蒲郡推广全国。他想出了一个主意:邀请一些知名作家入住常磐馆,要求这些作家围绕蒲郡、竹岛以及这座旅馆创作一些作品。这一策略取得了成功。常磐馆开业之后,川端康成、谷崎润一郎、志贺直哉、菊池宽(1888–1948)、山本有三(1887–1974)、井上靖(1907–1991)等作家都曾下榻于此,并且在众多的长篇小说、短篇小说以及诗歌作品中写到竹岛一带的风景。


这些作品包括,川端康成的短篇小说《骑驴的妻子》,故事围绕一个骑马场展开,这个骑马场是为了招待宾客而特意在常磐馆旁设立的;还有谷崎润一郎的《细雪》,这本书里讲述了这样一个故事:书中的一位姐妹在与未婚夫见面后心情不愉快,随后便来到了蒲郡,居于常磐馆。


纪念馆

常磐馆于1982年拆除,不过,它所留下的文化遗产以及独有的氛围,却在1997年开设的海滨文学纪念馆中延续了下来,这座海滨文学纪念馆建于常磐馆旅馆原址之上。纪念馆是一座经过复原的单层木结构建筑,前身是一家建造于1910年的诊所,坐落在蒲郡市中心。


馆内的展板生动讲述了曾经在常磐馆留宿过的作家们的故事,同时着重展示了他们的作品,特别是那些与常磐馆以及周边地区相关的内容。馆内还复原了常磐馆的一间客房,装修风格与 1927 年谷崎润一郎入住时的样式别无二致。这间榻榻米房间配有可打开的滑动纸屏风,透过窗户向外望去,正好可以看到竹岛的景色。


纪念馆中还展出了来自蒲郡酒店及其附属建筑的诸多文物,其中包含了曾经用于装饰六角堂外立面的精美木雕,而六角堂这座建筑就坐落在酒店入口的附近。纪念馆的另一个区域设有专门展区,讲述了蒲郡、竹岛以及常磐馆和蒲郡酒店所历经的历史变迁。


纪念馆推出的“时光信”项目鼓励游客们写下那些与蒲郡时光有关的留言或回忆,游客们可以将信件寄往他们指定的地址(日本境内),寄送时间可以是其访问纪念馆后的两个月至十年内的任意一天。

해변 문학 기념관


해변 문학 기념 박물관의 전시물은 가마고리가 어떻게 20세기 초에 유명한 작가들에게 인기 있는 휴양지가 되었는지에 대해 설명해 줍니다. 이 이야기는 현재 박물관이 자리한 1912년 해변가에 문을 연 도키와칸 여관과 여관의 설립자이자 가마고리를 관광지로 만드는 데 핵심적인 역할을 한 나고야의 사업가 다키 노부시로(1868–1938)를 중심으로 전개됩니다. 박물관에는 도키와칸과 가마고리 호텔(현재 가마고리 클래식 호텔)의 유물과 문서, 도키와칸의 방의 재현, 노벨 수상자 가와바타 야스나리(1899-1972), 다니자키 준이치로(1886-1965), 시가 나오야(1883-1971) 등 이 여관에 머물렀던 작가들의 삶과 작품을 자세히 설명한 패널이 전시되어 있습니다.


레저와 문학

가마고리와 일본에서 가장 유명한 문학인들 사이의 관계는 부유한 섬유 상인 다키 노부시로의 노력으로 이루어졌습니다. 다키는 다케시마 섬 맞은편의 미카와 만 해안에 도키와칸 여관을 설립하였습니다. 그곳은 그의 가족 별장이 있던 곳이자 어린 시절부터 사랑했던 장소였습니다.


가마고리는 이미 여행지로 잘 알려져 있었지만, 다키는 이곳을 전국적으로 알리고 싶었습니다. 그는 유명 작가들을 초대하여 도키와칸에 머물게 하고, 가마고리, 다케시마, 그리고 여관에 관한 글을 작품에 쓰게 하는 아이디어를 냈습니다. 이 전략은 성공적이었습니다. 도키와칸이 문을 연 후 가와바타, 다니자키, 시가, 기쿠치 간(1888–1948), 야마모토 유조(1887–1974), 이노우에 야스시(1907–1991) 등의 작가들이 여관에 머물며 다케시마에 대한 많은 소설, 단편 소설, 시를 썼습니다.


이러한 작품 중 일부로는 도키와칸 옆에 세워진 승마장을 중심으로 손님을 접대하는 이야기인 가와바타의 단편 소설 로바니노루쓰마(당나귀를 탄 아내)와 등장인물의 형제자매 중 한 명이 가마고리를 방문해 예비 신랑과의 불만족스러운 만남을 가진 후 도키와칸에 머문다는 다니자키의 사사메유키(마키오카 자매)가있습니다.


박물관

도키와칸은 1982년에 철거되었지만, 1997년 여관 자리에 문을 연 해변 문학 기념박물관에 그 유산과 분위기가 남아 있습니다. 이 건물은 1910년에 지어진 단층 목조 건물을 재현한 것으로, 가마고리 중심부의 진료소로 사용되었습니다.


내부에는 도키와칸에 머물렀던 작가들의 이야기를 들려주고 여관과 주변 지역을 다룬 작품을 강조하는 설명 패널이 있습니다. 박물관 건물에는 1927년 8월 다니자키 준이치로가 도키와칸에 머물렀을 때와 같은 모습으로 꾸며진 방을 재현해 놓았습니다. 다다미 방에는 장지문이 있는데 문을 열면 물 너머로 다케시마의 풍경을 볼 수 있습니다.


또한 박물관에는 가마고리 호텔과 그 별관의 유물이 전시되어 있으며,

한때 호텔 입구 근처의 6면의 롯카쿠도 건물 외관을 장식했던 화려한 나무 조각도 포함되어 있습니다. 박물관의 또 다른 부분에는 가마고리, 다케시마, 도키와칸과 가마고리 호텔의 역사에 관한 특별 전시회가 열리고 있습니다.


박물관의 “시간 편지” 프로그램은 방문객들이 가마고리에서 보낸 시간과 관련된 메시지나 추억을 적으면 박물관 방문 후 2개월에서 10년 사이의 날짜에 원하는 주소(일본 내)로 편지를 우편으로 보내주는 프로그램입니다.

Seaside Literary Memorial Museum


Exhibits at the Seaside Literary Memorial Museum explain how Gamagori became a popular holiday resort for noted writers in the early twentieth century. The story revolves around the Tokiwakan inn, which opened in 1912 on the beachfront site currently occupied by the museum, and the inn’s founder, Taki Nobushiro (1868–1938), a Nagoya businessman who played a key role in turning Gamagori into a tourist destination. On display at the museum are artifacts and documents from the Tokiwakan and the Gamagori Hotel (now the Gamagori Classic Hotel), a reproduction of a room at the Tokiwakan, and panels detailing the lives and works of authors who stayed at the inn, including Nobel Prize winner Kawabata Yasunari (1899–1972), Tanizaki Junichiro (1886–1965), and Shiga Naoya (1883–1971).


Leisure and literature

The association between Gamagori and some of the most famous literary figures in the country came about through the efforts of wealthy textile trader Taki Nobushiro. Taki established the Tokiwakan inn on the coast of Mikawa Bay opposite the island of Takeshima. It was the site of his family’s holiday home and a place he had loved since childhood.

Gamagori was already well-known regionally as a travel destination, but Taki wanted to advertise the area to a nationwide audience. He came up with the idea of inviting high-profile authors to stay at the Tokiwakan, with the condition that they would then write about Gamagori, Takeshima, and the inn in their works. This strategy proved successful. Following the opening of the Tokiwakan, writers including Kawabata, Tanizaki, Shiga, Kikuchi Kan (1888–1948), Yamamoto Yuzo (1887–1974), and Inoue Yasushi (1907–1991) stayed at the inn and wrote about the Takeshima area in numerous novels, short stories, and poems.

Some of these works include Kawabata’s short story Roba ni noru tsuma (Wife Riding a Donkey), which centers on a horse-riding ring built next to the Tokiwakan to entertain guests, and Tanizaki’s Sasameyuki (The Makioka Sisters), in which one of the titular siblings visits Gamagori and stays at the Tokiwakan after an unsatisfying encounter with a prospective groom.


The museum

The Tokiwakan was dismantled in 1982, but its legacy and atmosphere live on at the Seaside Literary Memorial Museum, which opened in 1997 on the site of the inn. The structure is a reproduction of a single-story wooden building from 1910 that was used as a clinic in central Gamagori.

Inside, explanatory panels tell the stories of the writers who stayed at the Tokiwakan and highlight their works that feature the inn and the surrounding area. Attached to the museum building is a reproduction of a room at the Tokiwakan, decorated to look as it did when Tanizaki Junichiro stayed there in August 1927. The tatami-mat room has shoji panels that open to reveal a view of Takeshima directly across the water.

Also on display at the museum are artifacts of the Gamagori Hotel and its annexes, including ornate wooden carvings that once decorated the exterior of the six-sided Rokkakudo building near the hotel entrance. Another section of the museum has special exhibitions on Gamagori, Takeshima, and the history of the Tokiwakan and the Gamagori Hotel.

The museum’s “Time Letters” program encourages visitors to write down a message or memory related to their time in Gamagori and have the letter mailed to an address of their choice (in Japan) on a date between two months to ten years after visiting the museum.

Search